So many blogs are launched on a daily basis, but only few make it to their cherished goal for which they were started. Most of them die a premature death. To ensure a successful blog requires professional discipline from you as a blogger. The following are some of the most common blogging mistakes that you should avoid.
- Thinking that blogging will make some quick money – Most new bloggers start with a false notion that blogging will enable them make quick money, on the contrary blogging requires time and persistent efforts to yield results. It takes focused efforts to make your blog known and popular. Therefore it takes time and continuous dedication to start making money on your blog.
- Not choosing a single Niche – Before you even start a blog, you need to decide on a single niche, which you want to blog about. Failing to do so, is perhaps one of the biggest mistake made by bloggers. Don’t choose multiple niches. Your audience/readers should be clear about what they get from your blog. It should be a niche that you are passionate about. Also having a single niche, is good for search engines as it helps search engines to position your blog hence directing visitors to your site looking for topics about the niche you are writing about.
- Not writing quality content – The content you write should not be copied, it should be original. You should start by researching the topic before you actually begin to write the content on the blog. This enables you to write unique content that is useful to your readers. Your content should have value and easy to read. Quality content is the main influencing factor for your visitors.
- Writing just for Search Engines – Over stuffing your content with keywords to rank high on the search engine results page can spoil the flow and relevancy of the content. Though your content can rank high on the search engines, but it may be of no value to the visitors as they simply fail to understand what the content delivers to them. Make a compromise, whereby your content is liked by both your readers and the search engines.
- Not writing regularly – Starting a blog is one thing, and maintaining it through frequent writing of posts is another. Choose a frequency say weekly or monthly and stick to it. If you don’t write regular content on your blog, then you tend to lose visitors and this can affect your search engine rankings too. A blog with no fresh content becomes stagnant and is equivalent to a dead blog. Blogging on a regular basis is vital element for a successful blog. This helps to keep a regular flow of traffic of visitors to your blog.
- Not promoting your content – If you just write and do nothing, then no one will visit your blog. You need to use social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn to get vital source of traffic to your blog. You also need to use Content promotional Communities like Quibb, Feedly, Quora to drive more traffic to your blog.
You can also read: Social Media Mistakes
- Not building a relationship with other bloggers – Your fellow bloggers especially in the same niche with whom you have a good relationship can comment on your posts, write about your posts, providing quality back links which is good for SEO and they can also share your posts on social media hence enabling your posts to reach wider audience.
- Not replying to Comments on your blog – By not replying to comments, you tend to discourage your readers from further commenting. Some may stop visiting your blog altogether. Reply to the comments on your blog to ensure your blog remains popular with your audience.
- No Optimization of On- Page SEO – On-page SEO involves tasks like proper headings, title tags, font size of the content, proper formatting of the points in your content, setting up image size etc. On-page SEO helps your content rank high in SERPs and thereby stand a better chance to gain a lot of traffic to your blog.
- No link building – Link building is an important factor in the overall SEO. The more backlinks you have on your post, the greater the preference you get in search engine results hence more traffic to your blog. If you don’t do link building then, you are losing out traffic to your site.