Social media optimization (SMO) is the process of increasing publicity or awareness of a product, service, brand or event using Social media outlets and communities.
The commonly used social media types include Social networking sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram); bookmarking sites like(Digg, Reddit); and RSS Feeds.
Social media optimization entails optimizing a website and its contents to encourage more users to use and share links across the social networks and websites. SMO also refers to the software tools that you can use to automate the process or experts who undertake this process on your behalf.
You can also read: 9 Tools to help you manage your social media accounts
Lets now look at ways you can implement social media optimization on your website or blog.
Although you can perform SMO yourself, it would be better if you involve an expert to assist you. Some of the things performed when doing SMO may include:
USE OF FRIENDLY PLATFORMS
Building your site on say WordPress gives you an upper hand when it comes to Social media optimization, since a platform like this is created taking into consideration SMO. You can easily create and edit your content and share it on a platform like WordPress.
ENSURE YOUR CONTENT IS RELEVANT TO YOUR NICHE
If you picked a given niche, ensure your content is relevant. Keep yourself updated with what is happening in your field, so that what you write about is not outdated.
UPDATE YOUR SITE WITH FRESH CONTENT REGULARLY
Writing new content on your blog frequently is good for Search engines, as this keeps your audience coming over and over to check for new content, and this can improve your rankings with time. Ensure your content is high quality and SEO friendly with the right keywords.
JOIN COMMUNITIES AND DISCUSSIONS
Be active in communities like Facebook Groups, and make useful comments with links to your website. With time this will improve your site ranking too. You can also visit sites dedicated to similar topics as yours, and participate in discussions, with time, you can start directing users to your site.
WRITE CONTENT WITH YOUR AUDIENCE IN MIND
When you write about a given product, aiming a certain demographic, ensure your content is tailored to that specific audience. Use Videos where necessary to enrich your content.
HAVE A SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGY
Having a social media strategy is a key component of social media optimization. In your strategy you can cover:
- The Objectives e.g. Creating Brand awareness
- The type of audience you want to target, what they do, what they are influenced by and what they talk about frequently.
- Participation i.e. How you plan to establish a presence and community online, and how you will engage with other users by sharing helpful information.
- Measurements – how you intend to keep a record of likes, and comments on your posts, or the number of sales. This will enable you monitor Growth and determine which tactics are most useful in optimizing social media
The above are just some of the tasks you can perform when you are doing social media optimization on your site. We have simple Rules of SMO that you can easily follow and improve your site.
- Make Tagging and Bookmarking easy
- Increase your links
- Help your Content to travel via sharing
- Reward inbound links
- Be a user resource-provide resources and information for other users
- Reward helpful and valuable users
- Participate in the online conversation
- Know how to target your audience
- Create new and high quality content on regular basis
Social media optimization (SMO) is similar to Search engine optimization (SEO) in that the Goal is to generate web traffic to a site and increase the awareness of the website but many people tend to focus more on SEO while ignoring SMO. These 2 components of Digital marketing are paramount if you want to succeed online therefore ensure you are working on them as you develop your site.